A travelling preacher from Heathfield called George Gilbert, addressed the villagers from the steps of the old Market Cross and inspired the group of dissenters in 1801 to build themselves a proper church. Money, time and labour were all freely provided and the church was completed in the same year. Four walls, a slate roof, a few windows, and whitewash, and all was ready. The church which was known as the Independent Church of Christ at Alfriston was opened for worship on 2nd August 1801.